Green Acres is located in Michigan City, Indiana in La Porte County off of Highway 212 between Highway 12 and the Highway 20/35 Bypass. The Community is in northwest Indiana, on the southern shores of Lake Michigan adjacent to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and the Indiana Dunes State Park. Located in the northern most part of La Porte County, we are 6 miles from downtown Michigan City, 8 miles from New Buffalo, Michigan, 10 miles southwest of the Michigan state line and 55 miles east of Chicago. With Michigan City’s harbor communities, historic neighborhoods and sweeping farmland the area is a nice place to live and work!
About the Michigan City, Indiana Area
- The Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets, located 8 miles from the community in downtown Michigan City, offers an impressive collection of brand names at incredible savings with over 120 outlet stores.
- Marquette Mall is conveniently located at the intersection of HWY 20 and US 421 and has numerous shopping venues.
- Quaint and Unique Main Street Boutiques and Shops can be found in Downtown Michigan City and in the resort town of New Buffalo.
- Affordable Antique Shops and Nostalgic Gift Shops can be found along the Red Arrow Highway thru Michigan City and into New Buffalo, Michigan.
A Variety of Dining Options are available whether you’re looking for breakfast, lunch or dinner the Michigan City, New Buffalo and the La Porte County areas have many delicious and diverse dining options to satisfy your tastes.
Michigan City Public Library has over 147,000 volumes of books to choose from, seating for 208 readers, and a meeting room that can hold up to 200.
Parks and Recreation in La Porte County has some of the finest acreage of wetlands, uplands, parks, beaches, golf courses, hiking trails and scenic beauty in the Midwest.
- Indiana Dunes State Park consists of 2,182 acres of primitive, beautiful, and historical landscape. It includes more than three miles of Lake Michigan’s south shore with drifting sand hills, and eighteen hundred acres of wooded land.
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, just 15 minutes from the Community, is home to several sandy beaches, dune climbing, hiking, walking trails, camping, fishing and boating, picnicking, horseback riding, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- Washington Park and Zoo has a Zoo, Beach and Park and is only 6.5 miles from the Community, a quick 10 minute drive. The only working lighthouse in Indiana sits along the shores of Lake Michigan in Washington Park, where you will find swimming, fishing, hiking, ice skating, playgrounds, picnic shelters and volleyball.
- Seasonal Orchards – La Porte County has over 20 Orchards, Farms and Gardens that offer an array of choices from animals to visit, fruits to pick, corn mazes to get lost in and trees for the holidays.
- Michigan City Municipal Golf Course is recognized as one of the premier public golf courses in Indiana features two beautiful 18-hole courses set in a wooded area. The North Course and the South Course offer a challenging day of golf for every age and skill level.
- Southwestern Michigan Wine Country – Michigan Shore Wine Country is called the “Napa Valley of the Midwest”. The Michigan shore wine country stretches from the Indiana – Michigan state line across the southwestern corner of Michigan to Kalamazoo, Michigan.
- La Porte County Historical Society Museum houses the third largest antique firearms collection in the world.
- Hesston Steam Museum is located 25 minutes from the Community, the museum has steam locomotives that take passengers on a spectacular journey through 155 acres of ponds, scenic forests and farmland.
- Old Lighthouse Museum – The 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse is the oldest remaining lighthouse in Indiana. It is located in Washington Park only 6.5 miles from the Community.
Education,Michigan City Area Schools:
- Niemann Elementary School (k-5) located at 811 Royal Road is just 2 miles from the Community, a quick two minute drive. Niemann is focused on increasing student achievement in reading and math.
- Krueger Middle School (6-8) is within 6 minutes of Green Acres just 3 miles away. Krueger Middle school’s mission is to develop and support success for each student academically, socially, emotionally, and physically.
- Michigan City High School (9-12), 8466 West Pahs Road, is within 6 minutes of Green Acres just 4.5 miles away.
La Porte County is only 55 short miles from Chicago. You have the choice of driving, flying from a nearby airport, catching the train or hopping on the bus.
La Porte County is located on the southern tip of Lake Michigan, bordering the Michigan state line. It is easily accessible by using Exits 34 and 40 on Interstate 94, and Exits 39 and 49 on the Indiana Interstate 80/90 Toll Road. Or enjoy the scenic byways that lead to La Porte County by driving on beautiful, tree-lined roads like U.S. 12, U.S. 20, Ind. 2, and U.S. 421.
- The South Shore and South Bend Railroad takes commuters between South Bend and Chicago several times each day, stopping at either of two separate stations in Michigan City. Free overnight parking is available at both Michigan City locations. View the South Shore Passenger Line Service for more details.
- Amtrak also makes periodic stops at a Michigan City flag stop along Lake Michigan when individual rider schedules dictate. The Blue Water Express and Pere Marquette both stop in Michigan City on their way to and from Chicago if needed. The stops aren’t regularly scheduled.
- Greyhound and Coach USA Bus Lines both run regular service from the major centers located in downtown Michigan City.
- Midway International Airport and O’Hare International Airport, just over an hour away in Chicago, provide entry by air to the Michigan City La Porte Area. Both airports provide access to the South Shore and South Bend Railroad via Chicago Transit Authority “L” trains.
- South Bend Regional Airport less than an hour from Michigan City, sees about 50 arrivals and departures a day from several US cities and also provides direct service to Michigan City via the South Shore and South Bend Railroad.
- Or fly directly into La Porte County by utilizing Michigan City and La Porte Municipal Airports. The small airports cater to smaller, private or corporate vehicles. Both cities offer rental car agencies that service each airport.
- Franciscan St. Anthony Health is conveniently located at 301 West Homer Street in Michigan City within 5 miles of the Community, a quick 9 minute drive. The hospital is the recipient of the “Hospital Outstanding Achievement Award’ and was awarded an “A” for Patient Safety by the Leapfrog Group.
If you are looking for a place to call home in the perfect location that offers a peaceful, family setting with high quality homes, schedule your personal tour today by calling (219) 872-8577 or Click Here to Contact us.
To view our Pre-Owned Homes for Sale Click Here.